Friday, April 1, 2011

The occasional book was the only drug I ever took.



Quick story time: In seventh grade I was sitting at my desk reading Little Women, when the boy sitting in front of me turned around and called me a geek for reading a book that big when I didn't even have to. From then on, all the way through high school, I was too embarrassed to read in front of my peers. I hope that little punk works at Circle K now.

Just a few of my absolute favorites:

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann
I effing loved this book. It took awhile to really get into but I'm glad I pressed forward. Don't ask me why but for some reason I love books about people with problems. Drug and alcohol addiction, eating disorders, depression, craziness, you name it, this must be why I love memoirs so much. But yeah this is a good one.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
 I've reread this book more times than any other, and every time it gives me a sad feeling I can't kick for days. I love it.

On The Road by Jack Kerouac
I longed to be a traveling gypsy after I read this. I could just hitchhike cross country and do what I please. But alas, their are too many evil people in this world and I would surely be murdered.

The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson
This one had to grow on me. A couple years ago I went on a Hunter S. Thompson kick and read a few of his books. Largely due to the fact my love, Johnny Depp, is a big fan himself.



I'm just waiting for these shelves to collapse under all the weight and fall on my head.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

What a stupid kid! I hope he works at circle K too! reading is the best you should never be embarrassed by it! I like your bookshelf!

Faith Peacock said...

I didn't know this?! I thought I would hear about this... I hope I never called you a nerd. Course I was jealous of your reading level! Black was it? lol

Holly said...

haha faith, yeah it was black. what was yours? blue?

Christine Marie said...

Ummm you are the coolest ever. When we're in the same city, we should go D.I. book shopping together! It's my favorite way to buy books: they're all like .75-$1.50 and I always buy way too many of them. OMG. Can't get over how much I love this post.
Also, let's learn judo and buy guns and go hitchhiking together. Then we won't get violence-d right?

Holly said...

lets do it, haha all those murderers and hobos will have another thing coming if they try to attack us. 90 percent of the books on my shelves are from d.i.! Let me know when you'll be in town next!

nikita said...

I love books, and I also love that you posted this.
Perks of Being A Wallflower is mindblowingly beautiful.
And upon your advice, I might go find Jack Kerouac to read.
:)

p.s. your second picture makes me smile. i'd be afraid too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...